

10 years ago today, I become a Mother to Gavin. I had just turned 20 the month before. My due date was actually Halloween day. I did go into labor on Halloween 1999, but Gavin was born the next day (Nov. 1st). I wish I had some of his baby pictures on my computer right now, but I don't so these pictures will do.
I'm not going to lie, I was scared! None of us automatically know exactly how to be a Mother and take care of a newborn. I was no exception. The evening after he was born and everyone had left my hospital room, I was left alone with this little 7 lb. 13 oz. newborn ( and a fever for me). I remember looking over at him as he laid in his little hospital bed, and hearing him squirm and make little newborn noises. I was so frightened. I was worried that if he cried I couldn't soothe him. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to nurse him correctly or that I wouldn't be able to help him burp and he'd have a tummy ache. I kind of just froze and let him stay where he was, and I where I was. Finally, after about 30 minutes I got up, brought him back to my bed and held him. He was so cute!
The next morning, after just a 24 hour stay, I was so ready to leave the hospital. My Doctor did his best to try and change my mind. But I was just ready to go home.
Since I still lived at home, I was able to have my Mom there. She taught and helped me so much those first few months. I have always been so grateful that my Mom took time to teach me how to care for a newborn. She taught me how to nurse and everything. I couldn't have asked for anyone more qualified since my Mom birthed, nursed and raised 10 children.
Gavin was a mellow baby. He didn't cry a whole lot. He went through a little period of a couple weeks where he was a little colicky, but other than that he was super good. Well, that is, until he learned to walk at 9 months old! He was into everything and anything.
I think the coolest experience of all about Gavin's baby hood, was how he and Shawn were able to bond from about the time he was 4 months old until we were married (he was 11 months old when we married). Those are times I will never forget. He even started calling Shawn Dada, and without prompt.
I knew early on that Gavin was more advanced, alert and different. In the first few days of his life, he began to respond t0 a couple of certain songs.. He would be dead asleep, and if you started singing a couple of particular songs that he had been sung once or twice before, he would flutter his eyes and wake up. He'd stare at you intensely while you sang them. Then when you stopped, he'd drift back to sleep. You could do this over and over and the result would always be the same. He just did amazing things that whole first year and beyond. Like dressing himself and putting on his own shoes at 17 months old. Started walking early, talking early. He was potty trained at 2. He always seemed to understand things more than most kids his age. He just seemed older. He still is that way today! It feels more like he is a teenager than 10. He and I can sit and have a very mature conversation and I feel like he's an adult! He is super advanced in school and always has been. He started reading on his own before he ever entered kindergarten. And since then, we have always had high reports on his academic abilities. This year already he has already surpassed the elementary school reading/comprehension scale. I am so just proud of him. He never fails any types of tests EVER.
Two weeks ago Gavin fought through the H1N1. It was so hard to see him that sick. He didn't eat much for days. I am so glad he got better without complication.
This last week, we had a birthday party for Gavin and his friends at Pirate Island and they had so much fun. We had a disheartening situation that night as all of Gavin's birthday gifts were stolen from the parking lot. Shawn drove away and forget them. Well, in about a 8 minutes span from the time he had left and came back for them, they were gone. DS games, shoes, tech decks were all stolen and gone. My awesome cake/pie spade was in the bags and stolen too :( That was a bummer. Gavin and I both shed some tears that night. The positive side was we still had a lot of fun. I think pirate island and his friends being there helped make up for it. Anyways, here's some pictures from the party night.
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Happy 10th Birthday Gavin!
Gavin and Nicholas Larson
I love you Gav!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Lily sorry to hear about the loss. It makes me sad what people will do these days. It is scary the times our kids will have to grow up in. Be thankful that Gavin is a good boy and makes good choices. happy birthday Gavin. Gavin you are amazing and have overcome obstacles already. You are the oldest cousin and we love your kindness when you help with all of your little cousins. Uncle Scotty and I are thankful for you Gav and we love you.
Happy birthday, GAV!! Love him! He and Dallin were so much fun to babysit when they were little. I was more of a jungle-gym for them, but it was a blast. I remember having Gavin read books to me before he was in kindergarten too! He's stinkin' smart! That's such a bummer that his stuff got stolen! Tell him Lesley loves him!
What a sweet boy Gavin is! I really think that some kids have extra special spirits these days... and it sounds like Gavin is definitely one of those spirits! What a lucky mom you are to have a boy like him! :)
Um SErioUSly??? Watch out ladies!!! Gavin is a flippin HEART BREAKER!!!! Oh my gosh Lily, he is so dang cute! Happy Birthday Handsome!
Ohhh so sad the presents were stolen!!! I hate people who would do that! Gavin is a sweet boy though! I loved reading your post.
Sad about the gifts getting stolen! Sure love that kid! Sure love your family!
Gavin! What a cute kid! (don't tell him I said that)
(and don't tell him I said this) I can see why Hailey has a CRUSH!!! ;o)
my due date with Tyler was Halloween as well. you were more fortunate than me: he didn't come until Nov. 7th!!!
and WHO WHO WHO would steal the presents? SERIOUSLY???????!!!!!
how sad that his gifts were stolen!! you would think it couldn't happen that fast! Broc was the same way for me also, started in the 5th and finished on the 6th! It was a long day!
how sad about the presents!
He sounds like a very smart guy!
Post a Comment