.....to jot down what I have gone through the last 7 weeks.
I suffered an injury to my low back (si joint) and my pirformis muscle (in my glute) on January 7th. Presumably a running injury -over training, and just generally everyday bad posture. For about 2 weeks I could hardly walk, sit, stand jump. Nothing.
This has meant no running. I haven't run for nearly 7 weeks now.
I haven't been so down, so depressed, so lost in a very long time. My heart belongs to running. It has for a very long time. And this is the first time I have been injured like this from running, so it has been very hard for me.
But I have learned some lessons. I've learned that I need to take days off and cross train more. Stop pushing miles everyday for days on end. Cardiovascular wise I am able to handle it, but my joints and bones cannot. It has been a good reminder that part of my overall fitness regime needs to include more stretching. I also need to rest more. Go to bed early and get enough sleep. I have also learned that though my body has felt strong & powerful the last several years, my body is still a body, and I am not invincible.
I've shed lot's of tears. However, I think I am on the upswing. Everything is feeling much better. I can only keep my fingers crossed that I will be fully healed before the start of my 2011 race season. I am looking forward to training smarter and being successful. Keep me in your prayers.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
I need a moment...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
What a bummer! I'm glad you're on the 'upswing'!
Lily.... Thank you for posting your lessons. I know this has not be a easy for you. In fact its probably been one of the harder things you have done, but you are very talented, beautiful and STRONG.. and I know the lessons you have learned will only AID you in the coming years. I too have learned that rest is VERY important for our bodies to recoup and recover. I learned this LAST year.. maybe not the same way you did, but similar. God Created our bodies and he tells us in the scriptures to not go faster then we can run. There is moderation in everything, Sometimes thats hard to apply, but I'm honestly so grateful for it. You are a open girl and Im glad that you were open to learning new things about life! I truly hope and pray that I can be like you---In many many ways.. Especially in workings so hard and believing in yourself! :) I just KNOW you are on your way to recovery. Cant wait to see you friday :P
You know what is so crazy Lily?? After we had emailed about your back and my dumb inversion table, it was maybe 4 days later, and I injured MY BACK TOO!!!! I know! It was like I was cursed! I'm talking I was down and out for about 3 weeks and in to my physical therapist and not able to exercise... oh baby... it was my herniated disc that was causing me trouble again. So hunny, I understand your pain. I'm so sorry you have been going through what you've been going through! It sucks, and sucks bad! You have the right idea though as far as what to do from here though... so keep your chin up and things will get better!!
I was so glad to see you back running on Friday!!! Those are all good reminders for everyone!
Post a Comment