Shawn * Lily * Gavin * Dallin * Maile * Brooks

Monday, July 27, 2009

Speedy Spaniard

Last week was a hard week. I have been preparing for months to run a 10k and a half marathon this year. Well, last Tuesday night, I took my kids to the school park to play. Since it had been so hot during the day, they felt cooped up and just generally needed to burn some pent up energy.
While at the school, I asked Gavin and Dallin if they wanted to race to the fence and back. They did and so we started. As I got to the fence and touched it, I turned around and began running back- going hard and fast. Somehow Brooks ran in front of me, and so to avoid a terrible hard head on collision, I jumped to my left at full speed and rolled over my ankle. I went down in terrible, terrible pain. I couldn't even walk. Not a single step. Shawn was out of town in Ireland and that made things seem so much worse. I called my friend Julie, who immediately came to my rescue. While my boys rode their bikes home, she picked the little kids and I up. She bathed my little kiddo's, brushed their teeth, dressed them for bed-and even put them to bed. She got me ibuprofen, ice, pillows and did her best to be optimistic for me. Poor Julie listened to me cry almost the whole time. Not necessarily because of pain, but because I was grieving over my ankle. I was unsure if it was sprained or broken. I was having a hard time accepting not being able to run. I love running. I have run almost every morning for the last 7 1/2 years. It is a big part of who I am. It is my passion......truly. With the race only 3 days away, I was sure I wasn't going to run it. There was no way, I couldn't even walk.

Wed. morning I went to the Dr,had an xray, was examined and told it was sprained. He told me that if I wanted to try, I could possibly run the race if I wasn't in too much pain. Well that night I prayed hard. I cried, pleaded promised etc. You know the drill :)

The following morning (Thursday, day before race) I woke up and the pain was gone. I was able to walk on it normally. Julie came over that morning at 5:30 to be with the sleeping kids. I suited up and hit the gym to test out the ankle on the tread. I was so giddy to find that I could run. And not only run, but run pain free and I ran 4 miles. I was so elated. Beyond words. With lot's of contemplation and thought, I made the decision that morning to run the race.

Friday morning, I still felt good. Picked up my friend Lynsey at 5:30 am and we were off to the race start. I had my air brace with me in case I needed to use it to run with. I did a test run and everything felt fine. Our running friend Merri was there with her sister, husband and a few other neighbors as well. It was so fun.
So here's how it all sorted itself out:
348 women participants running the 6.2 miles
I placed 20th of 348
2nd place in my age division (25-29 yrs old) behind my friend Merri who placed 1st :)
Race time 46:09 an avg. pace of 7:25
How the??? On a sprained ankle??? I am so thankful for a God who hears and answers prayers.....even if others might find the petition petty.
Thanks Merri and Lynsey for all the Friday morning 'speedy' runs. Thanks Julie for always being there to help me no matter what. Thanks hunny and kids for coming and screaming me to the finish line on a sprained ankle.
Love you all.


Watching for Mom to come through the finish line


The sprain...... one swollen cankle :)

11 comments:

Liz said...

Petty petition? I don't think so. Heavenly Father helped Ella find pink mascara the morning of the big parade... if it's important to US... it's important to HIM! I'm so happy for you and that you were able to run so well that morning! What a great story!

Chad Bennett said...

you are so nuts! i can't believe you did that with such a bad ankle. All that bruising, I so would have picked a different race! But you rock!

Chad Bennett said...

k that was Tammy, not chad, I didn't realize he was logged in!

Jeni said...

Ahhh...you are amazing! Faith coupled with hope can work wonders in this world. Thank you for being an example in both. Congrats on your time...looks like 7 1/2 years of running definitely paid off!

Merri Hackett said...

ha ha cankle :) you were amazing! And Julie is amazing! What a good friend! Nicely done Lily!!!

Jessica said...

Lily that's amazing! I saw you in the parking lot on Sunday with a brace on and wanted to ask you about it, but we were heading out. I am SO glad you still got to race!

Campbellite said...

Wow, Lily. That is definitely Faith! Just be careful on going because once you have a sprained ankle, it's easy to repeat them. Trust me, I've sprained them both a number of times. It's the Campbell way to sprain ankles. If you can use a brace, I would recommend it. You don't want to repeat it again, I'm sure. Love ya tons girl. The kids are so dang cute, as usual. :-)

Nedra said...

Wow, your ankle... I mean Cankle! hehe I hope it's feeling better. And that is one CUTE butterfly in your daughters hair. Wherever did you get that? :)

Maren said...

Wow! I am very impressed with a sprained ankle and all! That's amazing. Congratulations on the good time too!

Loni said...

Do you ever slow down? Not even on a sprained ankle?! Way to go!! I think you are awesome! I hope your ankle is healing up nicely!!

Jyl said...

I am so proud of you!!! Sorry about the ankle...Love you!